Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pad See Ew

Only 2 more days to go until Christmas and I think I am getting the flu! For the first time this year as well. What a great time to get it!

Hopefully it won't last long, cause I won't be very happy if I am sick on my one week of holidays!

Anyway onto the food. Pad See Ew is one of my go to dishes when I am not inspired to cook anything. It's such an easy dish to put together and so tasty. This recipe is from one of the books that I got from a Thai cooking school in Chiang Mai.

I was watching Poh's kitchen the other day and she said that when you are stir frying dry noodles to soak them in cold water rather than hot water, otherwise they stick together when you cook them. I never knew this and I tried it and it worked perfectly.

I didn't have a chance to go to the Asian grocer to get the thick rice noodles (which I love and I always use when cooking this dish) so I tried substituting the pad Thai type dried noodles instead. They worked out pretty well, although if you can get the thick rice noodles, then buy them.

All the ingredients ready to go

It's best when cooking this that you have everything ready to go, as once you get going you don't
have much time to stop and do anything.

Stir frying the chicken



Adding in the Gai Larn


Then add in the rice noodles once you have stir fried the veggies for a bit


Add the sauces (I didn't get a chance to photograph that stage) and then the egg

A bowl of comfort ready for a dash of srirarcha.

You can add some other veggies to this if you like. Carrot is always good, but make sure it's slightly cooked before you add it, otherwise it won't cook in time.

Pad See Ew

Ingredients:
400 grams chicken (or pork)
200 grams fresh noodles (or a packet of the dried rice noodles)
oil
4 cloves of garlic
Chinese vegetables (any type you like)
4 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tablespoons oyster sauce

1. Soak your noodles in a big bowl of cold water

2. Heat up oil in pan and then add garlic and chicken. Stir fry until the chicken is cooked.

3. Add the chopped chinese vegetables and wait until they have wilted slightly

4. Add the noodles and stir fry until just tender

5. Add sugar, soy, kecap manis and oyster sauce and fry until all mixed in

6. Move the noodle mixture to the side and add the egg mixture. Leave it there until it cooks a bit and then scramble into the rest of the noodles.

7. Serve with some chillies/chilli sauce.

4 comments:

Anna Johnston said...

Oowwhhhh, I love this one too.., great photo tute as well Susan..., absolutely going to make this one I don't think I've ever made it before either. Gotta love a good noodle dish huh.
Have an awesome Christmas, stay safe (get well), eat lots & enjoy!
Cheers
Anna

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I don't make these noodles often enough even thought I really like them. In fact I have a packet of these that really should be made into this dish! :D

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

Thai food, hehe.

Iron Chef Shellie said...

mmmmmmm i need to try making this. I love it!