Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Claypot Chicken Rice

I got Christine Manfield's cookbook for my birthday last year and had yet to cook anything from it. As I love getting cookbooks for birthdays I got a few different ones and had a quick flick through and then forgot about them.

This year I am trying to use my cookbooks more, so I picked up her book and read it from front to end. The first time I had a look at it I saw a few recipes at the beginning and they looked rather complicated, so I think that was the reason for my quick flick. This time though I noticed there were quite a lot of recipes that didn't look too difficult and sounded great. So there will be lots more recipes to come from this book I hope.

This is a really great book and has a chapter on all the different countries/cuisines in Asia and then a few other countries such as Morocco, Mexico, Spain, etc.

I got this recipe from the first Chapter which is Chinese. It's called Claypot chicken rice and sounded quite simple and satisfying and both of those things it was! Although the timing on the rice cooking was not quite accurate, I needed a lot more time. Maybe it was because I didn't cook it in a claypot, I don't know.



The recipe starts of by getting the fiddly bit out of the way. This is the most time consuming part of the recipe measuring all the marinating ingredients.



Marinating ingredients and chicken


Chicken marinating



All the ingredients in the pot ready for the rice to be cooked.

Claypot chicken rice!

Claypot Chicken Rice - from Fire by Christine Manfield

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts cut into cubes (I think I will use fillets next time)
2 Cups Jasmine rice, washed
750ml White chicken stock (she has a recipe for this at the back of the book, but I just used plain chicken stock)
1 Chinese Sausage (lap cheung), sliced (I used 2, cause I love them)
8 Fresh Shitake Mushrooms, Sliced
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
3 Green Onions, finely sliced
4 Tablespoons chopped coriander


Chicken Marinade


40ml Sunflower Oil
60ml Oyster Sauce
40ml Light Soy Sauce
20ml Dark Soy Sauce
20ml Shaoxing Rice Wine
1 Teaspoon Sesame oil
1 Teaspoon Chilli oil
2 Teaspoons caster sugar
1/2 Teaspoon white pepper
1 Tablespoon cornflour
40ml XO Sauce


1. Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken meat, mixing to make sure everything is coated.

2. Put the rice in a clay pot (or pot) with the chicken stock and cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes

3. Spread the marinated chicken, sausage, mushrooms and minced ginger over the top of the rice. Cover and cook for a further 12 - 15 minutes until the chicken and rice are cooked.

4. Remove from heat and taste and season as needed and then sprinkle spring onion and coriander over the top.

12 comments:

Dumpling Girl said...

My mum use to cook something very similar, but yours is much more refined, I definitely want to give this one a go :)

Cate said...

That looks great - will have to give it a try. Thanks for stopping by my sight - and letting me find yours!!!

muppy said...

This sounds really delicious, looks like an interesting cook book :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oooh this looks like a wonderful dish!

Hannah said...

What a beautiful, beautiful book! And I adore one-pot meals. Particularly ones that use mushrooms and a plethora of delicious sauces :)

Anna Johnston said...

OH yeah.... Any leftovers? So hungry for this. Such a great dish! :)

chopinandmysaucepan said...

I love this dish. It's almost like Chinese risotto with a twist. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Looks delicious! I love the crispy bits of claypot rice the best.

penny aka jeroxie said...

It is such a beautiful book but I have yet to use it

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous chicken rice. Love this cookbook.

celia said...

Oooh, I could happily go for a bowl of that right now! I love anything in a claypot, but sticky rice really beats all else!

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager said...

Ooh I am partial to claypot rice - especially the chewy crispy texture of the rice and that roasty flavour throughout. Did you get that with a cast iron pot? Not sure if the claypot itself adds anything.