Monday, May 16, 2011

Two different Celebrity Chef meals

Wow blogger is really doing some crazy things at the moment. I started writing this nearly 2 weeks ago and then everything crashed and I thought I lost everything I had written, but then I logged in last week and it was all there and then wrote the rest of the post and posted it.... or did I? Cause it seems that I didn't, or blogger didn't, and I lost everything that I wrote last week. Hopefully this time it will work. So just pretend when you are reading this, it's 2 weeks ago...

So we finally moved house last weekend which was a mission to say the least and glad it is all over for another year at least! Now it's time to unpack! I have pretty much done the whole kitchen (cause I need everything unpacked before I can cook anything, cause I never know what I will need) and all my clothes. Everything else will have to be unpacked gradually as we are not going to be at home for the next 5 weekends.

This weekend I am off to Sydney for one of my very good friend's Hen's night and then her wedding 2 weeks later. We are also planning a holiday up north at the end of may staying a couple of nights in port stephens, a week in Byron and then back home with a couple of nights in the Hunter. As we are bringing our dog with us too, it hasn't been the easiest trying to find accommodation that suits. Anyway I have nearly booked all the accommodation and can't wait to spend a couple of weeks relaxing.

I have a few recipes that I need to post, but all of my books are still packed up so I will have to go with this post of a Jamie and a Nigella recipe which I made a few weeks ago. Both of these recipes are from books I borrowed from the library! The Jamie recipe is from his book Jamie's Dinners which has a lot of great recipes in it that I can't wait to try. The Nigella one is from her book Kitchen. It was a perfect soup for a cold sunday night when you haven't eaten the best all weekend and need something to make you feel a bit healthy!


Chicken Goujons with noodles - from Jamie's Dinners
Serves 2

220g Dried Egg Noodles
2 Tbs Oil
2 Chicken Breasts cut into strips
Thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
1 Fresh Red Chilli, deseeded and finely sliced (I never deseed my chillies cause it's too time consuming and I like a bit of heat!)
2 Tsp Five Spice
6 Spring Onions finely sliced
Couple of dashes of soy sauce
2 Tbs Honey
Bunch of Coriander chopped
Salt, Pepper
Lemon, juiced

1. Drop the noodles into a pot of boiling water and cook according to packet instructions
2. While the noodles are cooking, put a pan on heat and get very hot and put the oil in and then add the chicken strips, ginger and chilli.
3. Toss together and then add the five spice.
4. Once the chicken is browned, add the soy sauce, spring onions and honey
5. Drain the noodles and add them to the chicken along with the coriander
6. Season to taste and serve immediately with the lemon juice mixed in.



Vietnamese Pork Noodle Soup - From Nigella's Kitchen
Serves 2 - 4, depending on how hungry you are..

300g Pork fillet, cut into thin discs
2 Tbs Lime Juice
2 Tbs Soy Sauce
1/2 Tsp Paprika
2 Tbs Fish Sauce
250g Ramen Noodles
1 Tbs Garlic Oil
6 thin, or 3 fat, spring onions finely sliced
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 Litre Chicken Stock
300g Beansprouts
175g Baby Pak Choy
2 Tsp Chopped Red Chilli

1. Put the discs of pork fillet into a bowl with the marinade of lime juice, soy, paprika and fish sauce and leave for no more than 15 mins

2. Cook noodles according to packet direction and then refresh in cold water

3. Heat a wok, or deep base heavy saucepan and add the garlic oil and then fry the spring onions and ginger for a minute or so. Add the pork and its liquid stirring as you go.

4. Cook the meat in the pan for about 2 minutes and then add the chicken stock to the pan.

5. Check the pork is cooked through and then add the beansprouts and pak choy. Add some water if the soupy base has evaporated too much.

6. Divide the noodles amongst however many bowls you are using and then ladle the soup mixture over and finish with some sprinkling of fresh chilli.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Congratulations for surviving another move!! You definitely deserve many weekends up where it's warmer as a result :D

Anna Johnston said...

Wow., looks good Susan :) Its been hard commenting on Blogger lately, for some crazy reason it asks you to sign in ??!!?? or something, so I've been reading away without commenting. Glad to let you know I've been enjoying the reads girl :)

msihua said...

Yum! Home cooked goodness is the best :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I remember seeing this post while the blogger issues were happening and then it disappeared! I meant to say (hehe now a few days ago) that they both look delicious!