Friday, March 7, 2008

Mu Kung Hwa

Last friday Frankie and I ventured into Glebe again and this time we actually made it to the Korean restaurant that I had been wanting to go to for ages. I have been watching the tv series on SBS called Food Safari and the week before the show had focused on Korean Food, so I was very keen to check this place out.

As we were walking down Glebe Point Road I was noticing that all the restaurants were pretty full and was hoping that we would be able to get a table at the restaurant. The restaurant itself is in this old 2 storey house which doesn't look like the typical housing for a restaurant. We walked in and there were only 2 other tables that were occupied, so we got a table easily!

There was the choice of going with the a la carte menu or 2 different banquets. The first one was $22 and the second one was $24, the first one included dolsot bibimbap, which I had been wanting to try, so we went with that. $22 is pretty good for a banquet i reckon!

One thing about this restaurant is the service. The lady that was our waitress was the cutest, nicest waitress ever and very informative.

Our first entree to come out was the Jap Chae, which is stir fried glass noodles with vegetables. This was oh so good. I could have kept eating this all night. It seems quite easy to make too, so I will have to try it one day. One thing that they said on the food safari is that korean food uses a lot of sesame oil and sesame seeds, and this was proof of that. You could really taste the sesame oil and it worked really well with the dish.

Frankie with his chopsticks!

Then out came the dumplings! These were really good also. The filling was like the filling in gyoza, which i love, so it was very tasty. It was good that this came out after we finished the Jap Chae, which meant that all the dumplings were still hot when we ate them rather than them getting cold.

How huge does that wine glass look!

Bibimbap!

This didn't come out with the raw egg in the middle of it or all of the vegetables that i saw on the food safari one, but it was still really good. I like it how the rice at the bottom goes all crunchy so you have different textures when eating it. I guess it's like the korean fried rice when it's all mixed together.

These were the plates that we were given for our main course. How colourful are they! Our waitress told us that the plates represented 7 living things, or something like that. They were pretty cool anyway. I wonder where they got them from....

Bulgogi

Also with our bibimbap came bulgogi. Bulgogi is made from thin strips of beef marinated with soy sauce, garlic, sugar and other stuff. It's so good and so tender. I always can eat heaps of it when i go to korean bbqs.

Also with our main meals came the traditional side dishes also known as banchan.

Kim Chi

The most widely known banchan. I love kim chi and always have a tub of it in my fridge. This was nice and hot just how I like it.

Gam-Ja - Braised Potatoes

Cucumber Salad

This was very good. Nice and cold and sweet.

Lotus Root

This was my favourite! I have never had this before. It was very sweet and sticky, it was great.

We also got some steamed rice and were told that if we wanted any of the side dishes replenished then to just ask.

We also got some miso soup

This is our lovely waitress, she was really cool

I recommend this place to anyone wanting to try korean food around the glebe area. So cheap and so good. It's BYO as well. We will be back. They also do bbq banquets, but i think you need a minimum of 4 people for that.

Mu Kung Hwa
36 Glebe Point Road
Glebe

Ph: 9660 0744

Open Mon - Sat Lunch and Dinner

1 comment:

DRchiick21 said...

Korean food has been one of my favorite food in the world. I do enjoy its variety. I do like to eat different Asian type of food, specially Japanese and Korean food.
I like eating dumpling's, I love Kim Chi, Gam Ja reminds me of my grandmother, Bulgogi, Jap Chae, Cochujan which is a spicy paste that you can accompanied with any other food, Ramen which is a scipy soup that many people likes to eat. Though, Korean food it's healthy it's exquisite to enjoy eating it's tasty foods.

Outsourcing In Call Center