Friday, July 8, 2011

Spanish Chickpea Soup


This is another recipe from Jamie’s Dinners cookbook. I really love this book and it’s full of great recipes that I just want to try.

I love soups and there is nothing more comforting in this really cold weather than sitting down to a nice bowl of tasty soup with some really good bread with lots of butter on it.



We have a really great bakery that’s in the Belconnen markets that has baguettes to die for and really good sourdough. If I am making a soup I always make sure that I get some of this bread.








I have never seen a recipe with a hardboiled egg grated into the soup, but it really works. It adds a nice richness to the dish instead of adding cream or sour cream. I also managed to get some pancetta from Barossa Fine Foods which was delicious in the soup. I used the whole package too, cause I love a good bit of protein in soups

I think next time I might try it with a couple of tins of tomatoes in place of the fresh tomatoes, as I love the flavour of really good tinned tomatoes in soup.




You can find the recipe here with all his recommendations on how to cook the dish.




8 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh wow, i thought that was cheese on top, not egg! Fascinating!

muppy said...

yum, this looks like my kinda soup! that pancetta looks great too.

tinytearoom said...

This soup looks light and tasty. I love chorizo and chickpeas. Tinned tomatoes in soup is a must! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

celia said...

Oooh Susan, I have this book, but I've never made this recipe before! Thanks for the headsup - it looks deliciuos!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I like the sound of the grated hard boiled egg into the soup! I might give that a go sometime :)

Obesebaby said...

This is such a nice soup recipe. I really love chorizo and I never thought of putting that in a soup.thanks for the post!

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

YUM! Soup would definitely be welcoming at this time, it's been horrible in Sydney - cold and wet, day after day. This looks really warm and comforting. I think I might have to knock up a big pot of it soon.

Anna Johnston said...

Nice touch with the egg, I adore eggs, will def being giving this light and tasty meal a go. Mmmmmmm. :) I wonder what to sub the chickpeas with, don't dig the texture. Hmmm... Thoughts?